52 Fun Writing Prompts for Your Journal
List of fun writing prompts
Feel free to cherry pick the ones you like or go through them like a list.
1. What game are / were you really good at?
Life is a game, but we are talking here about any kind of game which people play to past time. Battle Royale?, Fantasy Basketball?, Chess?, Tetris?, Cold Pursuit? There are so many, in which one do/did you excel?
2. What would you name your boat if you had one?
The Unsinkable 3? The Cowboy Bebop? The Please don't Sink? Queen Mary? Your choice! Also, what would it look like? Do you want a motor yacht, a sailboat, or perhaps a dinghy?
3. What movie cliche annoys you the most?
You are free to choose any cliche from any genre. One of the most annoying in my opinion. A killer is in your house and instead to run out of the door, you are running upstairs with no way to escape your death. Why do people always run upstairs? Is there some metaphoric meaning which I didn't catch? Are they not valuing life? Are teenagers only thinking of sex? Why? Whyyy?
4. What scene from a TV show will you never forget?
As a long time TV show watcher, this question needs maybe some more thinking time. Maybe... the end scene of "The Originals" when both brothers die. This made me totally sad and I can't forget the image.
5. What terrible movie do you love?
Oh there are some movies. This is one answer I wouldn't want to share with millions of readers on the internet. My face would surely turn red like a tomato.
6. Which movie do they need to a sequel to?
Please answer also why the world would be a better place with a sequel of .... ?
7. What's the closest thing to real magic?
With a new "smart" something coming out almost every day, what products amaze and astound you the most?
8. What's the silliest invention you have heard of?
The Ultrasound Mosquito device. Well, I wouldn't say it was a silly invention, but more so my belief of it actually preventing mosquitos from biting me. How about the clock which shows always the wrong hour?
9. What would your perfect vacation entail?
Are you more an adventurer or the person which wants to stay for hours on the beach and getting brown? With whom would you like to go, where and what activities would you do?
10. Who is the messiest person you know?
If your answer is "I don't know any really messy people", that means that the answer is you. You are the messiest person you know.
11. What is the most unprofessional thing you've seen someone do?
In what life area did he/she do it? Work? Personal life? Why would someone do something like that?
12. What will finally break the internet?
Take this question in a serious direction or a funny direction, either way it's sure to get an interesting answer.
13. What futuristic thing do you wish your clothing or accessories could do?
Personally, I'm all in for clothes which could change their color on button press. Maybe an instant self washing future would be cool too. Clothes that adjust perfectly on your body?
14. What's the most useless talent you have?
You've got one, we've all got one. I'm pretty good at estimating what time it is, or maybe it's just confirmation bias.
15. What would be on the gag reel of your life?
Those moments when the audience that has been watching your life bursts out in laughter.
16. How much would you pay a hacker threatening to release your browsing history to your friends and family?
The internet is no innocent place. You'll have 48 hours. Pay or live with the consequences.
17. Where is the worst smelling place you've been?
You know, that place where you gagged and almost threw up? Yeah that place!
18. What celebrity would you rate as a perfect 10?
Great for guys or girls, see how your ideal type matches up with your friend's. And if you are horrible with celebrity names like me, just think of a movie or show with a perfect 10 in it.
19. What's a body part that you wouldn't mind losing?
You've got lots of body parts! Surely there a few you could part with. Who knows, maybe missing a few toes will become a fashion statement!
20. After you survive the apocalypse, what will your job be?
Forget your programming coding skills. No computer survived the apocalypse. In what way would you earn your money, ehh if there's still a money transfer ongoing.
21. What job would you be absolutely terrible at?
We Millennials are known for changing jobs at a rapid rate. This is great for experience and surely we've all stumbled upon the one job at which we were absolute terrible. I was a terrible car rental representative because I didn't have a driver's license and neither was a good driver. Don't ask how I did get the job, it didn't last long :)
22. What is the dumbest way you've been injured?
Let's face it, we've all had some injuries that were caused by less than dignified circumstances. So lets hear them! Everyone loves a good cringe worthy story.
23. Which fictional character would be the most boring to meet in real life?
Sure it's easy to focus on the exciting, thrilling characters. But how about showing the boring ones some love!
24. What is the best and worst purchases you've ever made?
Oh we've all made some seriously bad purchases, so what are yours? And what about the best purchase, and where can I get one?
25. If you had to change your name, what would your new name be, and why would you choose that name?
So how about it? Will you be Inigo Montoya or Hubert Blaine Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff? Or perhaps something a bit more mainstream?
26. What technology from science fiction do you wish existed?
Warp technology, screen less communication, flying cars, flights to the moon. Stanley Kubrick's Space Odyssey 2001 was like a wish list of things that he would like see to exist. 50 years later humanity still hasn't built everything.
27. What are some things that sound like compliments but are actually insults?
Along the lines of humble brags, but things that you would say to your frenemy. Sorry, as portmanteaus go, frenemy is almost as bad as phablet.
28. What mildly annoying curse do you wish you could curse people with?
I emphasize the word mildly again. So strike everything out of your mind which comes close to the Curse of Llorona.
29. What's your biggest screw up in the kitchen?
Whether you did it when you were a kid or a as misguided college student, you've had a seriously bad screw up in the kitchen. So what happened?
30. Which movie sequel do you wish you could erase from history?
Titanic 2 anybody? Was a fun movie if you can forget for a moment that Titanic 1 was an absolute top movie and the sequel doesn't manage to do anything right. What was yours? and don't go watch Titanic 2 now. Please.
31. If your life was a movie, what songs would be on the soundtrack?
Don't cry for me Argentina, or the Star Wars theme song? Create a compilation of songs that would fit any circumstance.
32. What's the worst commercial you've recently seen? Why is it so bad?
It almost seems like some commercials were designed to be so irritating that you can't forget them. So what are some of the worst?
33. What would you do if you had a time machine?
Obviously you would do the right thing and don't use it at all. Space time continuum can be messed up pretty bad. Purely theoretical speaking... would you visit the past or the future. What would you interest to see and live? Would you change something? Theoretical speaking of course.
34. What is the craziest thing one of your teachers has done?
I'm sure we've all had that one teacher with a couple of screws loose, or how about the teacher that just absolutely lost it during class.
35. What is the silliest recent fashion trend?
This is only a question for the fashionistas out there.
36. When did you screw everything up, but no one ever found out it was you?
What have you gotten away with? How sneaky were you when you were younger? Or was it something recent that you messed up and got away with?
37. What was the funniest way that you have been injured?
I was a rising soccer talent and wanted to train outside the usual hours. I asked my sister who was totally untalented to train with me. She agreed after a while. In her first shoot attempt, she hit the ball with all her mighty and he landed on my face. I had lost a teeth and was full of blood. Never again, haha.
38. What problem or situation did TV / movies make you think would be common, but when you grew up you found out it wasn't?
For me it was quicksand, always with the quick sand. That and the memory loss. I've never come across someone who had a complete memory loss or quicksand. Sure they exist, but they happen a lot more on TV than in real life.
39. What easy thing do you most often screw up?
I'm perfect. There's not such a thing that I cannot do alone and in a perfect manner. Ah, "Baby, could you please open up that bottle again? My hands are so glitchy."
40. What would be the worst ingredients to fill a burrito/pizza with?
Why in the world would anybody put spaghetti Bolognese on a pizza? Ah, sorry just thinking out loud. Your turn.
41. What quote or saying do people spout but is complete BS?
One that always gets me is "Love means never having to say you're sorry." You better occasionally say sorry, or there's a good chance they aren't going to love you for very long.
42. If you could rule the world for the day, what would you do?
A lot of responsibility, but someone has to do the job. What change would you like to make?
43. What's something your brain tries to make you do and you have to will yourself not to do it?
It could be as intense as the urge to jump off a high place. Or as mild as trying to stop yourself from itching that mosquito bite. Or maybe just saying something you shouldn't at a really inopportune time.
44. What would your perfect Saturday be like?
Chilling with friends? A gaming night at home? A romantic dinner and then dance all night? I love Saturdays! We all should.
45. If you could know the absolute and total truth to one question, what question would you ask?
You can make it serious or funny, your choice. It'll be interesting either way because we've all got plenty of questions we want answers to.
46. If you could choose one celebrity to instantly become disappear from the spot light, which celebrity would you choose and why?
Probably you will first need to compile a short list with your top ten candidates and then go on to decide who is the one to face this cruel destiny. Or maybe you have one instantly in mind, because she/he is the absolute worse of the worse celebrities.
47. What's the most interesting thing you've read or seen this week?
Time to share that really cool article or fact that you ran across on the internet.
48. Can boys and girls be friends? Why or why not?
Simple question, right? Now, go and write your 3 pages long simple answer.
49. What ridiculous thing has someone tricked you into doing or believing?
We've all had our gullible moments, and everyone loves to hear about someone else's embarrassment. So ask away and enjoy!
50. What is the dumbest chorus from a recent song?
God bless song writers. Some write beautiful songs and some make la, la, la sound good.
51. If you were given a one-minute ad slot during the Super Bowl that you couldn't sell, what would you fill it with?
Will you change the world? Annoy a lot of people? Inspire them? Or just use it as a platform to further your own diabolical plans?
52. If you could be a TV star, what show would you be on? Why?
So many options. Which show would you pick up in the end.
Other blog posts:
Looking for an online journal? Sign up with Mynlo